Social Security System (SSS) is a government agency which secures social insurance program for the Filipino workers in all private, professional, and informal sectors. It was established by the virtue of Republic Act No. 1161  in 1954 and was amended by the Republic Act No. 8282 in 1997.

As a Filipino citizen, SSS pension is one of the most important benefits we are entitled to. Given this, we should fully inform ourselves about the requirements set by the agency so we can maximize our benefit. Attached here is the guidebook of the Social Security System on how to apply for your retirement pension, the requirements that you should bring to them, and the actual advantages that you can acquire therein.


What is the Retirement Benefit?

The retirement benefit is a cash benefit paid either in monthly pension or a lump sum to a member who can no longer work due to old age.

What are the types of retirement benefits?

  1. Monthly pension – a lifetime cash benefit paid to a retiree on a regular monthly basis.
  2. Lump sum amount – one-time payment granted to a retiree. The amount is equal to the total contributions paid by the member and/or by his/her ERs, including interest earned.

Who may qualify for a retirement pension?

  1. Member must  have  paid  at  least  120  monthly  contributions  prior  to  the  semester  of retirement and is any of the following, whichever is applicable:

a) at least  60  years  old  and  separated  from  employment  or  has  ceased  to  be  an  SE/ OFW/Household Helper (optional retirement);

b) at least 65 years old whether still employed/SE, working as OFW/Household Helper or not (technical retirement);

c) at least  55  years  old  and  separated  from  employment  or  has  ceased  to  be  an  SE if  an “underground mineworker” (optional retirement);

d) at least 60 years old whether still employed/SE or not, if an “underground mineworker” (technical retirement); or

e) a total disability pensioner who has recovered from disability and is at least 60 years old (or at least 55 years old, if an underground mineworker).

  1. A former retiree-pensioner whose monthly pension was suspended due to re-employment/self-employment and is now separated from employment or has ceased to be an SE.
  2. A member who is 60 years old and above, but not yet  65,  with  120 contributions or more may continue paying as VM up to 65 years old to avail of the higher amount of benefit.

What are the other terms and conditions for the retirement of  Underground Mineworkers?

An  Underground  Mineworker  is  any  person  employed  to  extract  mineral  deposits underground or whose workplace is beneath the ground performing and coordinating activities for the purpose of searching for and extracting mineral deposits, which includes the muckers, miners,  bull-gang  workers,  etc.  and  any  other  person  working  underground  regardless  of positions such as geologist, security guards, mechanics or sampler.

An Underground Mineworker must have been employed as such for at least five (5) years (either continuous or accumulated)  prior to the semester of retirement as certified by his/her ER/s, regardless if employment as underground mineworker is his/her last or not. The actual date of retirement should not be earlier than  March  13,  1998, and the  ER/s  must be duly registered with the Bureau of Mines as a mining company.

Who may qualify for a lump sum retirement amount?

Member  is  at  least  60  years  old  (or  55  years  old,  if  an  underground  mineworker)  for optional  retirement,  or  65  years  old  (or  60  years  old,  if  an  underground  mineworker)  for technical retirement, and has paid less than 120 monthly contributions

A member filing for a retirement benefit and has paid less than 120 monthly contributions shall be given the option to continue paying the contributions as a VM to complete the  120 months to avail the full benefits thru monthly pension.

How is the monthly pension computed?

The monthly pension shall be the highest of:

a) 300 + (20% x AMSC*) + (2% x AMSC) x (CYS** – 10); or
b)   40% x AMSC; or
c) The minimum pension of P1,200, if with at least 10 CYS; or P2,400, if with at least 20 CYS, whichever is applicable.

                                    * AMSC (Average Monthly Salary Credit)
** CYS (Credited Years of Service)

The monthly pension of a member who retires after age 60 and who have contributed the required 120 monthly contributions shall be the higher of the following:

a) monthly pension computed at the earliest time the member could have retired had he/she been separated from employment or ceased to be SE, plus all adjustments thereto; or
b) monthly pension computed at the time when the member actually retires.

What is the 18-months advance pension?

A retiree has the option to receive the first eighteen (18) months pension in a lump sum, discounted at a preferential rate of interest to be determined by the  SSS.  This option can be exercised only upon the filing of the first retirement claim, and only advance payments shall be discounted on the date of payment.  The  Dependent’s Pension and 13th  Month Pension are excluded from the advanced 18 months pension.  Should there be an increase in the monthly pension within the 18-month period, the same shall also be subjected to interest.

The retiree will receive the regular pension on the  19th month and every month thereafter.

What are the possible deductions in the retirement benefit?

All unpaid short-term member loans of members claiming for a retirement benefit, whether or not the term of payment has expired as of contingency date, shall be deducted in full from the proceeds of the benefit payments.  The date of contingency shall be the cut-off date for charging interest and penalty. Also to be deducted are overlapping sickness and partial disability benefits if any. If there is overpaid pension due to dependent’s death, employment or marriage, these shall also be deducted from the monthly pension.

How can a member know when is the optimum time to file for retirement so that he/she gets the most of the benefit?

A member shall be advised of the amount of the monthly pension benefit that he/she will receive upon the filing of the retirement application and the amount that he/she will stand to receive if he/she decides to continue paying contributions as a VM.

A  member filing for optional retirement  (60  years old) and who has paid at least  120 monthly contributions shall be given the option to continue paying voluntary contributions up to 65 years old to avail of higher retirement benefit upon reaching 65.

Meanwhile, a member who is already 65 years old or older shall be given the option to pay voluntary contributions  ONLY  IF  he/she has not yet attained the required  120  monthly contributions to be eligible for a monthly pension.  However,  payment of contributions shall be allowed only up to 120 months.

What happens when the retiree pensioner resumes employment?

The monthly pension shall be suspended upon the reemployment or resumption of self- employment of a retired member who is less than 65 years of old. The member shall again be subjected to compulsory coverage. At 65 years old, whether employed or not, he/she can file a claim again for a retirement benefit.

How much will be the monthly pension of a member who filed for optional retirement at age   60,   becomes re-employed,  and then re-applies for technical retirement at age 65?

A pensioner who retires more than once shall be entitled to the higher of:

  1. the monthly pension computed for the first retirement claim; or
  2. the re-computed monthly pension for the new claim.

How is the monthly pension paid?

The monthly pension is paid thru the designated bank account opened by the member under the “SSS Pensioner’s Remittance thru Bank” Program. This became mandatory effective September 1, 1993.

A member must open a single savings account (or use an existing one, if any) and submit to the  SSS  the savings account number and a photocopy of the passbook upon the filing of an application, or he/she may accomplish the  Visa  Cash  Card  Enrollment  Form.  The original passbook must be presented for authentication purposes.  For ATM accounts,  the name of the member must be embossed and the savings account number must be indicated in the ATM card; otherwise, a copy of the deposit slip must be submitted.

For members without an existing single savings account, the SSS will issue an LOI form to be presented to his/ her chosen SSS-accredited bank for the purpose of opening a  single savings account.

Upon approval of the claim, the SSS will mail a notice voucher to the member informing him/her when to withdraw the benefit from the bank.

How is the lump sum amount paid?

Effective May 2016, the member may opt to receive the lump sum benefits for SS and EC Disability, SS Death and Retirement directly through his/her bank account, instead of receiving the check through the mail. The Payment thru-the-Bank Program shall become mandatory upon implementation of the Benefits Workflow System.

The  member  will  be  asked  to  open  a  single  savings  account  (or  use  an  existing  one,  if any) and submit to SSS a photocopy of any of the following: a) the savings account passbook; b) the ATM card bearing the member’s name and account number; c) a validated initial deposit slip; d) bank statement or certification;  or e) Visa Cash Card Enrollment Form, upon filing of benefit  application.  The original passbook/ATM  card must be presented for authentication purposes.

For members without an existing single savings account, the SSS shall issue an LOI form to be presented to his/her chosen  SSS-accredited bank for the purpose of opening a  single savings account.

Upon approval of the claim, the SSS will mail a notice-voucher to the member informing him/her when to withdraw the benefit from the bank.

Can a retiree who was granted a lump sum benefit resume paying contributions to qualify for pension benefit?

A retiree who wishes to convert the lump sum benefit paid to him/her to lifetime pension shall be allowed to return the SSS check within six (6) months from the date of settlement. Upon payment of the lacking contributions, the retiree shall be qualified to avail pension benefits under RA 1161, as amended by RA 8282 (SS Law), or under RA 7699 (Portability Law), for SSS members only.

If the  SSS  check has been encashed, one percent  (1%)  interest per month shall be charged effectively from the date of encashment up to the time of application for pension.  The check amount plus the interest shall be deducted from the proceeds of the pension benefit.

Aside from the retirement benefit, what else can a retiree receive?

The retiree is entitled to a 13th Month Pension payable every December.

Moreover, retiree pensioners prior to the effectivity of RA  7875  on  March  4,  1995  are automatically considered members of PhilHealth, and they and their legal dependents  are entitled to its hospitalization benefits. On the other hand, retirees effective March 4, 1995 up to the present will be entitled to hospitalization benefits under PhilHealth only if they have contributed  120  monthly Medicare contributions.  The counting of  120 monthly contributions shall start in 1972, when the Medical Care Act of 1969 started implementation.

A copy of DDR print-out indicating the type oflaim is retirement in nature and the effectivity date of pension or in its absence, a Copy of Retiree-Pensioner Certification issued by SSS shall be required.  They need to register with PhilHealth for the issuance of a PhilHealth ID card for Non-Paying Members.

Who are considered dependents of a retiree-member and what benefits are they entitled to?

Dependents of a retiree-member are entitled to Dependent’s Pension, which is equivalent to ten percent (10%) of the member’s monthly pension or P250, whichever is higher. This is paid for each dependent child conceived/ legally adopted on or before the date of retirement of the  member, but not exceeding  five  (5) in number beginning with the youngest and without substitution. Those considered dependents are as follows:

  1. Legitimate, legitimated, legally adopted and illegitimate child who is unmarried; not gainfully employed; and has not reached 21 years of age,  or if over 21 years old,  he/ she is congenitally incapacitated or while still a minor was permanently incapacitated and incapable of self-support, physically or mentally.
  2. A child who has entered into a common-law relationship and has not attained the age of eighteen (18).    However, upon reaching the age of 18, the child shall stop receiving dependent’s pension.

In cases where there are five  (5) or more dependent  legitimate,  legitimated,  legally adopted and illegitimate  children, the dependent legitimate,  legitimated, and legally adopted children shall be preferred. Where there are less than five (5) legitimate, legitimated, or legally adopted children, the illegitimate children shall be considered to complete the maximum five (5) dependents.

For how long will the dependent child receive the pension?

Payment of the dependents’ pension shall stop if the dependent:


reaches  21  years  old,  unless  congenitally  incapacitated,  or  while  still  a  minor  was permanently incapacitated and incapable of self-support, physically or mentally;

is gainfully employed;


enters into a common-law relationship upon attaining at least 18 years of age; or

attains the age of 18 while having a common-law relationship.

“Gainfully   employed”   refers   to   one   who   is   employed/self-employed   where   he/she renders   regular   work   and   receives   compensation   or   derives   income   for   at   least   six   (6) continuous months in any given year, as shown in the member’s contributions records/Annual Confirmation of Pensioner (ACOP), or based on findings.

Suspended dependent’s pension of gainfully employed dependent may be resumed, upon submission  of  proof  that  he/she  was  separated  from  employment  or  ceased  to  be  an  SE  and provided that he/she is unmarried and has not reached 21 years of age, or if over 21 years of age, he/she is congenitally  incapacitated  or  while still a  minor  was  permanently  incapacitated  and incapable of self-support, physically or mentally.

What will happen to the monthly pension of a retiree in case of death?

Upon the death of a retiree pensioner, the primary beneficiaries shall be entitled to 100 percent of the monthly pension and the dependents to the dependent’s pension.  If the retiree pensioner dies within  60 months from the  start of the monthly pension and has no primary beneficiaries, the secondary beneficiaries shall be entitled to a lump sum benefit equivalent to the total monthly pensions corresponding to the balance of the five-year guaranteed  period, excluding the dependent’s pension.

What is the prescriptive period in filing for a claim for retirement benefit?

There is no prescriptive period for the filing of  initial  retirement  benefit.  However,  all claims with the SSS and all petitions with the SSC assailing said settled claims, should be filed within ten (10) years from denial/settlement.

The reckoning point of the 10-year prescriptive shall be as follows:

  1. For claims  settled  prior  to  March  1,  2006,  the  10-year  prescriptive  period  shall start on March 1, 2006.
  2. For claims settled on or after March 1, 2006, the 10-year prescriptive period shall start on the date of the initial settlement.

The 10-year prescriptive period shall not apply to the following cases:

  1. Claims for adjustment for reasons not attributable to the member/claimant, such as:

Unposted contributions and additional CYS;

Payment  for  additional  dependent/s  if  it  was  established  that  the  dependent/s was/were  inadvertently excluded  by SSS  in  the payment  of benefit  or  date  of birth was erroneously encoded;

Change  in  the  date  of  contingency  if  the  correct  date  of  contingency  was  not considered by SSS in the computation of retirement benefit; or

Other analogous cases.

  1. Claims for re-adjudication due to:

Change of guardian of member/dependent/s;

Emancipation or death of dependents;

Resumption   of   monthly   pension   that   was   suspended/cancelled   due   to   Annual

Confirmation of Pensioners (ACOP); or

Other analogous cases.

Can a member with a settled retirement benefit still correct his/her date of birth to re-adjudicate the benefit?

The date of birth appearing in the member’s SSS record shall be presumed correct and no further documentation shall be required to establish the same in the payment of retirement benefit unless the member presents proof to the contrary.

Correction of date of birth shall be governed by the following guidelines:

  1. If the  correct  date  of  birth  is  earlier  than  the  date  of  birth  used  in  the  adjudication  of retirement benefit, correction of date of birth  shall be based on  PSA/NSO-issued birth certificate, except for PSA/NSO birth certificate registered after the 55th birthday of the member.

However,  if  member  cannot  present  the  PSA/NSO-issued  birth  certificate,  corrections may  be  allowed  only  upon  a  final  judgment  from  court  or  the  SSC  establishing  the correct  date  of  birth.  Upon  correction  of  the  date  of  birth,  the  member’s  retirement pension shall be adjusted accordingly,  subject  to the 10-year  prescriptive period policy on adjustment/re-adjudication.

The request for correction of date of birth shall be exercised only once.

  1. If the SSS discovers that the correct date of birth is later than what has been used in the adjudication of benefit resulting in the over payment of retirement benefit, the SSS shall effect the   correction,  make   necessary   adjustment   on   the   benefits,  and   collect   the overpayment.

What are other policies regarding the retirement benefit?

  1. Retirement of spouses employed by their own business

It  is  presumed  that  the  single/sole  proprietorship  established  during  the  marriage  is either conjugal or absolute community even if it is registered in the name of only one (1) spouse. With the said business still operational, the spouse reported for coverage can only retire at the age of 65 years old, unless the same business is retired/terminated, whichever comes first.

  1. For retiree with invalid coverage

A  retiree  who  paid  voluntary  contributions  but  was  not  previously  or  has  no  single contribution paid as covered EE or SE shall be allowed to register upon determination of his/her coverability as SE, per declaration made in the “Affidavit of Declaration of Source of Income” for purposes of adjudication of retirement or if records could show that benefit payments have been previously granted.

  1. Entitlement to retirement benefit of a member who was previously declared presumptively dead but consequently reappeared.

A  retiree-member  who  was  declared  presumptively  dead  by  final  judgement  from  the Court/SSC  or  pursuant  to  SSC  Resolution  No.  695-s.81  and  was  granted  death  benefit  is  still entitled to retirement benefit if he/she reappeared.   However, the death benefit paid to his/her beneficiaries shall be deducted from the proceeds of the retirement benefit.

A  Court/SSC  declaration  of  re-appearance  is  no  longer  needed  since  the  death  benefit was paid on the presumption that subject member was already dead, but is now debunked by his/her  reappearance.  However,  the  member  shall  be  required  to  submit  an  Affidavit  of  Re- appearance to the SSS.

  1. Determination of ER Liability

    A.The ER is declared liable for damages if he/she:

fails to report the member for coverage prior to date of contingency;

misrepresents the true date of employment of the EE;

remits contributions lesser than those required under the law; or

fails  to  remit  any  contributions  due  prior  to  the  date  of  contingency  resulting  in  a reduction of benefits.

However, if the contingency occurs within thirty (30) days from the date of employment, the ER shall be relieved of his liability for damages.

B.Retirement benefit  is  paid  to  member  if  no  reply/payment  is  received  from  the  ER/s concerned within thirty (30) days from the date of service of demand letter.

C.Any person  or  entity  engaging  the  services  of  an  independent  contractor  shall  be subsidiarily liable with such contractor for any civil liability incurred by the latter under the  SS  Law.    The  liability  herein  provided  is  without  prejudice  to  the  contractor’s criminal liability if warranted.

D.Computation of ER Liability

  1. For non-reporting, the ER shall pay the SSS damages equivalent to the following: If lump sum benefit – Amount of benefit to which EE would have been entitled.

If pension – Accumulated pension due from the date of contingency up to the date of settlement  of claim or to  the five (5)  years’ pension, whichever is higher, including dependents’ and 13th month pension.

  1. For misrepresentation of the true date of employment of his/her EEs, or remittance to the  SSS  contributions  that  are  less  than  those  required  under  the  SSS  Law,  as amended, or failure to remit any contribution due prior to the date of contingency, the ER shall pay to the SSS the following:

If lump sum benefit – Difference between the amount of benefit  to which the EE is entitled.

If pension – Difference on the accumulated pension due from the date of contingency up to the date of settlement of the claim or to the five (5) years’ pension, whichever is higher, including dependents’ and 13th  month pension.

In addition under Items 1 and 2, the ER shall also be liable for the payment of the corresponding  unremitted  contributions  and  penalties  thereon  apart  from  penal sanctions, if warranted.

If  the  member  has  two  (2)  or  more  ERs,  each  ER’s  liability  shall  be  based  on  the contributions the member has under the liable ER.


What forms and documents are needed in filing for a retirement benefit?

Present    the    original    and    submit    photocopy    of    valid    ID    cards/documents    for authentication purposes, and submit original/certified true copy of supporting documents.

  1. If filed by Member:

A. Valid ID cards/documents – Any of the following Primary ID cards/documents:

  1. SSS ID Card
  2. UMID Card
  3. PRC ID Card
  4. Passport
  5. Driver’s License
  6. Seaman’s Book (Seafarer’s Identification & Record Book)

Note:   All  equivalent  ID  cards/documents  with  English  translation  issued  by  a  foreign government shall be accepted.
If the above documents are not available, refer to the following Supplemental List of Documentary Requirements for Retirement Benefit.

B.SSS Forms:

  1. SSS Retirement Claim Application (RCA) Form; or
    Application for DDR Benefit under the Portability Law, if applicable
  1. Member’s Photo and Signature Card

C. Single savings   account   passbook/ATM/UMID   card   enrolled   as   ATM/accomplished debit/cash card enrollment form

Note:   If name of member and/or savings account number is not indicated in the ATM card, submit either:

–     Copy of duly-validated deposit slip; or
–     Copy of bank statement/certificate

If ATM card of married female member is still under her maiden name, submit Marriage Contract/Certificate.If  member  cannot  open  a  savings  account  or  cannot  apply  for  debit/cash  card, submit   a   written   request   for   exemption   from   the   Pensioner’s   Remittance Program stating reason for the request.


  1. If filed thru Representative:

All of the above documents in Item I. A and B, plus:

A. Valid ID cards/documents of the representative; and

B. Letter of  Authority  (LOA)  signed  by  the  member;  or  Special  Power  of  Attorney  (SPA)
specifically stating the authority to file and sign for and in behalf of the member.

Note:   LOA/SPA should be valid within six (6) months if issued in the Philippines or one
(1) year if issued abroad.

All equivalent  ID  cards/documents  with  English translation issued by  a foreign government shall be accepted.

Refer to Supplemental List of Documentary Requirements for Retirement Benefit for the additional supporting documents for special cases.


Supplemental List of Documentary Requirements for Retirement Benefit

Present the original and submit photocopy of valid ID cards/documents for authentication purposes, and submit original/certified true copy of supporting documents.


A. Identification Documents

In the absence of Primary ID cards/documents (see list on Page 73), any two (2) of the following Secondary ID cards/documents, both with signature, and at least one (1) with photo:

  • Postal ID
  • Company or School ID
  • Senior Citizen ID
  • Firearm License Card issued by PNP
  • TIN card
  • ID Card issued by LGUs (e.g., Barangay/Municipality/City)
  • ID Card issued by professional associations recognized by PRC
  • Pag-IBIG ID Card/Member’s Data Form
  • PhilHealth ID Card/Member’s Data Record
  • Voter’s ID or Voter’s Affidavit/Certificate of Registration
  • GSIS ID Card/Member’s Record/Certificate of Membership
  • Credit Card (with name and signature)
  • Fish Worker’s License Card issued by BFAR
  • Health or Medical Card
  • Residency card/Work permit issued by foreign governments
  • Marriage Contract/Certificate
  • Seafarer’s Registration Certificate issued by POEA
  • Alien Certificate of Registration/Green Card
  • Certificate of Confirmation from the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples
  • Certificate issued by National Commission on Muslim Filipinos
  • Certificate of Licensure/Qualification Documents from MARINA
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by the Bureau of Immigration
  • NBI Clearance
  • Police Clearance
  • Court Order granting petition for change of name or date of birth
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Student Permit issued by LTO


–     Expired IDs shall be accepted as identification, provided it has signature and photo.

–     All  equivalent  ID  cards/documents  with  English  translation  issued  by  a  foreign government shall be accepted.

–     Married  female  members  may  use  Primary  or  Secondary  ID  cards/documents  that are still under maiden name, provided that copy of Marriage Contract/Certificate, or Report  of  Marriage  issued  by  the  Philippine  Embassy  or  Consulate  General,  is presented.


B. Supporting Documents for Special Cases

  1. If member is at least 60 years old but below 65 years old

a) For Employed members
Certificate of separation issued by the last ER or by all
ERs  (if with multiple employers); or
Certificate of employment issued by the last ER stating the period of employment;or
 SSS   Form   –   Affidavit   of   Separation   from   Employment/Cessation   of   Self- employment with Undertaking, regardless of status of ER.

b) For SE members
Certificate of non-renewal for all of member’s business permit/license issued by the  proper  government  offices/transfer  of  ownership  (e.g.  Business  Permit  and Licensing Office); or
Certificate  of  cessation  of  business  issued  by  the  duly  elected  Barangay  Official where the business or place of residence was located; and
SSS   Form   –   Affidavit   of   Separation   from   Employment/Cessation   of   Self- employment with Undertaking

c) For House Helpers
SSS   Form   –   Affidavit   of   Separation   from   Employment/Cessation   of   Self- employment with Undertaking; or
Certificate of separation issued by the last HR; or
Certificate   of   employment   issued   by   the   last   HR   stating   the   period   of employment.

d) For members of Cooperative or registered Association (e. g. TODA, Card Inc., market vendors association, etc.)
SSS   Form   –   Affidavit   of   Separation   from   Employment/Cessation   of   Self- employment with Undertaking; or
Certificate  of  termination  of  membership  signed  by  the  authorized  company representative/s    or    signatories    in    the    Specimen    Signature    Card   of    the Cooperative/Association; or
Certificate of membership signed by the authorized company representative/s or signatories   in   the   Specimen   Signature   Card   of   the   Cooperative/Association stating the period of membership.


  1. e) For VM, including OFW

Proof   of   separation   from   employment/cessation   of   business/termination   of contract/no earnings is not a requirement


Note:   For  members  residing  abroad,  any  valid  ID  card/document  issued  by foreign governments indicating foreign citizenship/residency/employment  prior to retirement (e.g., certificate of naturalization, foreign passport, driver’s license, residency card, and work permit) shall be accepted in the absence of document/s stated under Part B.1.


  1. If member is an Underground Mineworker

Certification from the ER/s that member was an underground mineworker indicating the period of employment and worker’s job description; or

Affidavit  of  two  (2)   co-employees   attesting   that   member   was  an   underground mineworker indicating the period of employment and worker’s job description.


Additional requirements if underground mineworker is at least 55 years old but below 60 years  old:  Supporting  documents  stated  under  Part  B.1  a  or  b,  depending  on  the  last coverage status of the member


  1. If member  is  filing  retirement  claim  pursuant  to  an  existing  Bilateral

Social Security Agreement (SSA)

Liaison forms   as provided for under the Administrative Agreement of the Bilateral

SSA, with the following information:

  1. Claim application details; and
  2. Insurance periods under SS Law of other country;

Photocopy of two (2) valid IDs of member, certified by counterpart liaison agencies

as provided for under the Bilateral SSA, in lieu of member’s photo and signature card


  1. Additional document if member is applying under the Portability Law

Certificate   of   total   contributions   issued   by   the   GSIS,   including   the   period   of contributions


  1. Additional document if member is an SSS employee

Certification  issued by  the  Employee  Services Department  on the  SSS  employment history of the concerned employee, subject to the applicable rules and regulations on outside/part-time employment of SSS personnel and RA 8282


  1. Additional documents if member is incapacitated and under guardianship

Photo and signature card of guardian

Medical certificate issued by his/her  attending physician (with  license number  and address   of   clinic),   within   three   (3)   months   from   date   of   filing   of   claim   for guardianship   confirmed/certified   by   the   Medical   Specialist   of   SSS   Physical Examination Centers (PECs); and

In-Trust For  (ITF) savings account; and

Affidavit for Guardianship of Incompetent Pensioner, if guardian is the spouse; or

Application  for  Representative  Payee  and  Guarantor’s  Bond  Form,  if  guardian  is other than spouse


  1. If with dependent child/children and not reported in member’s records


  1. a) Marriage Contract/Certificate of member issued by the LCR/PSA (formerly NSO)



Note:   Marriage  Contract/Certificate  is  not  required  if  dependent  is  legally  adopted  or illegitimate child


If married abroad

Marriage Contract/Certificate with English translation issued by foreign government;


Report of Marriage issued by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate General.


Additional requirements if with previous marriage in the Philippines

–    Certificate     of     Finality     of     Annulment/Nullity     or     annotated     Marriage

Contract/Certificate; or

–    Certificate of Naturalization prior to marriage abroad and Decree of Divorce after acquiring foreign citizenship, or its equivalent.


If Marriage Certificate is not available

Certification of non-availability from LCR/PSA (formerly, NSO) or issued by foreign government indicating that marriage records of the office/agency concerned is intact

but there is no record of marriage for the requesting party; and

Marriage  Certificate  issued  by  Parish/Church/  Ministry/Congregation/Sect/other religious organizations/ LGU/other person authorized to administer the marriage


If    Marriage    Certificate    from    Parish/Church/    Ministry/    Congregation/Sect/otherreligious organizations is not available

Certification  of   non-availability   from  the   Parish/Church/Ministry/Congregation/ Sect/other religious organizations; or

Affidavit/Certificate   of   solemnizing   officer   stating   the   following,   together   with

Authority to Administer marriage, if applicable:

–     Date of marriage;

–     Place of marriage;

–     Reason for non-registration; and

–     Authority to administer marriage, if applicable.

–     Joint affidavit of two (2) persons who witnessed the marriage; and


–     Birth certificates of at least two (2) children wherein under both documents the names of parents and the date and place of marriage are indicated (if applicable)


  1. b) Birth Certificate  of  legitimate,  legitimated,  legally  adopted  or  illegitimate  dependent children issued by LCR/PSA (formerly, NSO), if born in the Philippines


If dependent child/ren is/are born abroad

Birth Certificate with English translation issued by foreign government; or

Report of Birth issued by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate General


If Birth Certificate is not available

Certification of non-availability from LCR/PSA (formerly, NSO) or issued by foreign government; and

Baptismal/Dedication  certificate  or  its  equivalent  issued  by  the  Parish/Church/ Ministry/Congregation/Sect/other  religious  organizations (with  date of birth of the

child and name of parents)



–     Baptismal/Dedication  certificate  or  its  equivalent  certificate  must  bear  the  original signature  of  the  Parish  Priest/Head  of  the  Church/Ministry/Congregation/Sect/ other  religious  organizations  or  his  authorized  signatory.  Stamped  signature  is  not


–     Dedication    Certificate    or    its    equivalent    certificate    issued   by    the    Ministry/ Congregation/Sect/other religious organizations in lieu of baptismal certificate must bear the date of birth of the child and the name of parents.


If Baptismal/Dedication certificate or its equivalent is not available

Certification  of  non-availability  together  with  the  following  where  the  name  of member, name of dependent, date of birth of dependent and relationship to member are indicated:

–    School cards/records of dependent

–    Educational/insurance plans/Health card record

–    Employment records of member

–    PhilHealth/GSIS/Pag-IBIG records

–    Income Tax Return of member

–    Member’s record duly received by SSS prior to May 1997


  1. c) Additional documents


For legally adopted child/ren

Decree of Adoption or Certificate of Finality



–     The birth certificate should bear annotation of the adoption

–     Date of adoption should be prior to date of retirement


For illegitimate child/ren

Any proof of filiation, such as, but not limited to:

–     Birth Certificate duly signed by the father as informant

–     Birth Certificate with Affidavit of Acknowledgment duly signed by the father

–     Will


–     Statement made before any judicial or quasi-judicial proceedings

–     Any authentic writing signed by the father (e.g. letter, diary, or other documents such as school records and other public records)


For dependent child/ren under guardianship

Claim  for  Dependent’s  Pension  (SS  Form  BPN-106)  duly  accomplished  by  the guardian (if guardian is the parent/grandparent, other than the member)

Application  for  Representative  Payee    and  Guarantor’s  Bond  Form  (if  guardian  is

other than parents/grandparents)

ITF account (if guardian is other than parent)

Additional document if dependent child/ren under guardianship is/are incapacitated

–  Medical  Certificate  issued  by  the  attending  physician  (with  license  number  and address of clinic), within three (3) months from date of filing of claim for dependent’s pension, confirmed/certified by the Medical Specialist of SSS Physical Examination

Centers (PECs).



–     Documents issued in a foreign country should have English translation.   Authentication by the  Philippine  Embassy  or  Consulate  General  is  not  required  if  said  documents  are  duly received and signed by the SSS Foreign Representative, Foreign Office.


–     For  retirement  claims  filed  abroad,  photocopy  of  supporting  document/s  with  English translation  may  be  presented  and  submitted  in  the  absence  of  the  original/certified  true copy, to be duly received and signed by the SSS Foreign Representative Office.



Can a member file the retirement application online?


Members  registered  in  the  SSS  website  may  submit  their  application  for  Technical

Retirement through the website, as long as they meet the following conditions:


Member is at least 65 years old;

Member has no cancelled SS Number/s;

Member has at least 120 monthly contributions prior to the semester of contingency;

Member has no pending case before the SSC;

Member  has  no  outstanding  loan balance  or  any  outstanding  loan  balance  shall  be  for salary/calamity loan or salary loan renewal program (SLERP) only;

Member is qualified for technical retirement  per Eligibility Inquiry of the On-line Web

Inquiry System (WINS);

Member   has   no   submitted   retirement   claim   per   Centralized   Claims   Clearance

System/settled retirement claim per Claims Information;

Member has no dependent child/ren; and

Member is not an underground mineworker.


Application for technical retirement may be filed within six (6) months before the date of retirement, but the payment of benefit shall be done on the actual date of retirement.


Retirement claims submitted through the SSS website shall be processed using the DDR Workflow System following the procedures on the Processing of Retirement Claim Application.


Payment of benefit shall be thru the bank using the UMID card or to the SSS-accredited bank designated by the claimant in his online application for technical retirement.



Where can a member file the retirement benefit application?


Application for retirement benefit  can be filed at the SSS branch nearest the member’s